SHIFSD is a development oriented initiative registered with the Government of Liberia on May 30, 2005 as a non-governmental organization. It is duly accredited (MPEA/NGO/AC#0369). The organization was founded in the year 2000 by a group of Liberian Refugees in Ghana and moved over to Liberia in August 2008.
SHIFSD envisage a just society free of Illiteracy and Poverty.
SHIFSD exist to reduce poverty through access to functional Adult Literacy and Entrepreneurship.
Our core values are:
- Gender equity
- Good governance and accountability
- Respect for human rights
- Shared leadership
- Learning – Our willingness to share experiences, lessons learnt and best practices with like-minded organizations in order to help strengthen organizational capacity.
- Integrity- We strive to promote the ethical dimension of leadership and sincerity in our intervention efforts.
- Disciplined responses- we strive to build a work culture that is strategic and consistent with our mission.
SHIFSD’s target beneficiaries are: the youth, refugees and women in deprived communities, aged 18 to 35+.
Areas of Intervention:
- Functional Adult Education for underprivileged people in rural communities;
- Youth Civic Awareness through educational activities on rights and responsibilities, gender, education on sexually transmitted diseases;
- Conduct of trainings on Leadership; Personal and Organizational Development;
- Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET);
- Micro-enterprise Development for disadvantaged youths;
What We Do:
SHIFSD’s work aims at inspiring community development by promoting functional adult literacy, tvet; entrepreneurship, and sustainable livelihood. Our day-to-day operation is being overseen by a Board of Directors from an array of professional backgrounds. The Management Team comprises a Program, Finance, Administrative, M&E officer, and is headed by the Executive Director.
Montserrado, Margibi, Bong, Grand Gedeh, River Gee and Maryland County